Thursday, 5 December 2013

R.I.P Nelson Mandela

I haven’t been blogging properly for a few months, it’s been a combination of a lack of things to say, tiredness, illness and a lack of inspiration in the ideas department.

Today however I have something I want to say. It is an exceptionally sad day. The inspirational Nelson Mandela has died at the age of 95, although his death was of course inevitable, it has still hit me so hard.

Nelson Mandela was a truly extraordinary & influential man. There are only a handful of men/women like him in the world, who have given us so much in the way of hope, change and progress and his legacy will live on.

It seems hard to believe he was viewed as a terrorist when you watch his behaviour in interviews and
recorded conversations. His aura to me was one of warmth, playfulness and intelligence.

As a child I remember my big sister taking me to Hyde Park to a free Nelson Mandela Concert, where we chanted the words “FREE NELSON MANDELA”. We have come a long way since then and there is still a long way to go. My heart and prayers go out to his family. R.I.P Madiba

 


Madiba

Madiba father of a nation

You changed the lives of South Africans

Touched the lives of so many

Gave your freedom, a gift to our children

Political leader formed on the battlefield

Walked a long uneasy road

Worn out shoes and tired bones

Time to sleep, if for a while

The earth still lives so the great ones never die